[pulseaudio-discuss] pavucontrol not seeing network sound devices

Christoph Groth cwg at falma.de
Sat Sep 25 05:59:36 PDT 2010

Dear pulseaudio experts,

I installed pulseaudio on two machines which are on the same LAN.  On
one of the machines, which is supposed to be the server, I used paprefs
to enable it as network server (I enabled the top three options in the
"network server" tab).  On the other machine, the client, I used paprefs
to make network devices available locally.

Now, on the client, pabrowse lists some remote audio devices.  With
padevchooser I can select them and play sound over the network.

However, I understand that padevchooser is obsolete and I should be able
to choose the output device with pavucontrol.  But this does not work, I
can only see the local device there (or, upon changing the default device
with padevchooser, the remote one).

So, how is this supposed to work?  I am grateful for any hints.

Christoph