[pulseaudio-discuss] Some info on the RME Hammerfall DSP

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Sep 27 07:47:30 PDT 2010

Daniel Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>> I also have no idea about Maverick at all, and how it would cater for
>> the Hammerfall with regard to Pulseaudio, defaults and so on.
>
> The modifications that you made would still be necessary in Maverick.
>

>> Would it be considered useful if I made the jump to Maverick prerelease
>> right now?  Who will then be doing the testing for a putative backport?
>
> My opinion is that it isn't absolutely necessary to move to Maverick
> (I dogfood the LTS releases).  All the modifications that I suggested
> are possible in Lucid, too.  It's probable that [Launchpad's]
> ~ubuntu-audio-dev will have a staging PulseAudio package (based on
> Maverick's) for Lucid soon.

The recipe can slightly be improved using

amixer -D hw:DSP cset 'iface=CARD,name=Precise Pointer' On

since that would be more symbolical and would likely do nothing to cards
not in possession of such a control.  I did some more experiments, and
Flash Video continues to have skips.  However, the previous artifacts
sounded like wraparounds.  The current ones apparently correspond to
skipped frames.  I have no idea why Flash would skip frames when there
seems to be enough buffer of original content available, but maybe the
codecs don't keep up.

Right now I have a hard time convincing firefox/pulseaudio to try the
builtin sound card for comparison.

--
David Kastrup