[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Pulseaudio jack sense

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 13:42:03 PDT 2011

>> I've not looked specifically at the code, but I'd have expected that
>> jack detection would somehow be built into module-alsa-card or
>> module-alsa-source/sink rather than shipped as a separate module (tho'
>> I'm maybe not appreciating some intricacy here)... I'll try and review
>> the code soon (although others may have beaten me to it anyway :D)
>>

> Well the UCM code corresponding on what to do when jack is plug or
> unplug  its part of module-alsa-card but we had to add first the logic
> in PA to detect the jack insertation/removel  that it is basically a
> listener of /dev/input/eventX, that is used by the kernel to report
> the event. All the logic for jack detection has been added in a new
> module.
>
> I'll wait your feedback/questions related to UCM integration :)

I have pretty much the same feedback as Colin.
First I cherry-picked the two jack-sensing patch and installed them on
my laptop (68293cd29b1dcb6b555edeaa5d63110164e5c794 and
6c4a7de60040d5dc3d3b44461a7f490e3feba26f). Works fine, the events are
detected. This is something that we've needed for some time. Thanks!

But then I looked a the flows and was confused by the design.
- It's not clear why you would create a new thread using pthreads
rather than pa_create_thread()? Is there any technical reason why the
abstraction isn't enough
- this thread blocks on a read, and whenever a jack insertion/removal
is detected it fires a Hook which is then used by module-alsa-card to
actually switch profiles in two callbacks.
Why not implement this thread as part of module-alsa-card then? What
if the benefits of using the hook as a communication means between two
modules? I can see though the benefit of using a hook for, say, an
effect that is enabled only for a headphone. That is more the intended
use of a hook I believe.
While I am at it, I am not even sure you need a thread for this with
all the event loops, iochannels and stuff that PulseAudio/glib
provide.
We may also want to switch the card profiles even if the card isn't
supported by UCM.

Last, I looked at the two callbacks you implemented, looks to me that
the insert and remove parts do the same thing? Shouldn't you memorize
the current device, switch to the headphone upon jack insertion and
restore the previous device on removal?
Maybe this needs to be linked with how PulseAudio memorizes the
devices or Colin's device-manager?
-Pierre