[pulseaudio-discuss] review+pull-request: Passthrough support

Dark Shadow shadowofdarkness at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 08:39:57 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Arun Raghavan
<arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 18:23 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> [...]
>> The changes needed to actually use this in GStreamer are also done, but
>> not upstream yet. I need to do some rebasing to make this stuff good to
>> push out, so details on this in a following mail.
>
> Okay, this is also pushed and good to test. I'll be pushing this out to
> master after the next round of gst* releases (which should happen in the
> next couple of weeks or so). For now, you'll need:
>
> * gstreamer from git master
> * gst-plugins-base from:
> http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/arun/gst-plugins-base.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/passthrough
> * gst-plugins-good from:
> http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/arun/gst-plugins-good.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/passthrough
> * gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-ugly, gst-ffmpeg built against the above
> would probably also be needed (for non-passthrough playback)
>
> With all but the top-most commit to gst-plugins-good, pulsesink will be
> plugged in passthrough mode when the sink supports the format of the
> input.
>
> The top-most commit on gst-plugins-good introduces a new pulsesinkbin
> element, which automatically reconfigures based on what formats are
> available on the sink we're connected to. So if you're playing AC3 in
> passthrough mode over S/PDIF and switch to analog out, it'll
> transparently plug in a decoder, and if you switch back to digital out,
> the decoder will be removed and passthrough mode will be enabled again.
>
> pulsesinkbin will be autoplugged if your app (or gst-launch) is using
> playbin2, but most applications totem/rhythmbox/... override the
> playbin2 audio sink, so there's some work pending before this just works
> with players.
>
> I'm happy to help if anyone runs into problems while testing.
>
> Cheers,
> Arun
>
> p.s.: for those of you who want to test but don't have a
> gstreamer-from-git setup already, jhbuild[1] or gst-uninstalled[2]
> should be useful.

I have been using this branch for awhile (since the first day XBMC
could use it to passthrough DTS-HD) and will it worked for most that
time yesterday I updated to the most recent git pull and now
pulseaudio doesn't even see my Nvidia HDMI at all anymore. It doesn't
show as a possible sink.

This is on a XBMC-Live dedicated HTPC that nothing else has changed in
recent time.

I can still use HDMI by using straight Alsa so nothing happened to it.