[pulseaudio-discuss] realtime kernel RLIMIT_RTTIME crashes, rewinds

Dan Muresan danmbox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:39:45 PDT 2011

Hi, I've been suffering for a long time from the realtime crashes.
pulseaudio gets a SIGKILL, so nothing at all is logged around the
relevant time.

Upon browsing the source code, I see that set_one_rlimit sets rlim_cur
and rlim_max to the same value, so that no SIGXCPU warning is
possible. Nice...

Now, from skimming bug reports, it seems that realtime usage might be
caused by rewinds. Is it possible to disable rewinds? I see that there
are some cases where pa internally uses
pa_sink_set_max_rewind_within_thread to disable rewinds, but is it
possible to do so as a user?

-- Dan