[pulseaudio-discuss] [PulseAudio-Discuss] PulseAudio System Timer Requirements

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 11 05:14:36 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Vallabha Hampiholi at 25/07/11 14:21 did gyre and gimble:
> Just as an update, I see following when invoking the server,
>
> N: alsa-util.c: Disabling timer-based scheduling because high-resolution
> timers are not available from the kernel.
>
> How will this affect the system?

Well as the log message states, it means you cannot use timer based
scheduling. This means you will rely on the older interrupt driven model
and thus will not get the power savings that the timer based approach
can offer you if the apps behave sensibly. You should speak to some
kernel guys to get it enabled.

> I also experienced a strange behaviour. When invoking two gst launches
> with pulsesink, pulseaudio server shutdown.

So this will be in non-tsched mode. Can you provide logs and (if PA
actually crashes rather than just shuts down) a backtrace?

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]