[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Change the device-restore database to allow per-port volumes

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Aug 29 02:51:46 PDT 2011

On 08/29/2011 10:51 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and David Henningsson at 29/08/11 08:04 did gyre and gimble:
>> On 08/26/2011 03:05 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 25/08/11 17:17 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Anyone else got any comments on this? I'd like to push it out if all is
>>> well otherwise.
>>>

>>> FWIW, to address Arun's concern somewhat, we could relatively easily
>>> make a change here that kept the same volume for every port simply by
>>> changing the key name used and then expose this as a module argument
>>> should people really hate this behaviour.
>>>
>>> Any comments on the code would be appreciated too :)
>>
>> Well, I'm not that much into the database format, so can't really look
>> for bugs there...I have a question though: What about loudness bumps? It
>> looks like that could be the effect if you set the volume in such a
>> reactive fashion?
>
> Well if you plug in a jack, you kinda expect the volume to change anyway
> (it's a different physical thing outputting the sound.
>
> Not really sure what you're meaning by loudness bumps in this respect.
> Sure it's possible that the user configures things such that things get
> too loud when they unplug things, but I'm not convinced there is a way
> around that while still supporting independent volumes for headphones
> vs. speakers.

Assume we have a card with one ALSA kcontrol named "Master" that
controls both headphone and speaker volume. User likes to have volume at
-6 dB with headphones and -24 dB with speakers. When user unplugs
headphones, he will have -6 dB in his speakers from the point when the
kernel does the automute stuff until we have synced the volume, i e a
"bump" in the volume. In that case, I'm not sure if there's anything we
could do about it.

But this also happens when you switch manually, in which case which
*could* do something about it. My point is that a port switch
essentially a change of ALSA kcontrols, and it seems like the proposed
implementation would do the change in two steps, first in reaction to
the port switch, then in reaction to module-device-restore. And there
should be possible to do it in one step only and set the right volume at
the same time as you set the port switch. Do you follow?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic