[pulseaudio-discuss] daemon ping-pongs the sink port

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sun Dec 4 22:52:36 PST 2011

On 12/04/2011 08:42 PM, Tony Bernardin wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions David.
>
> 1. I ran it a couple of times and was able to detect the changing state:
> saru at odin:~$ sudo hda-jack-sense-test
> Pin 0x14 (Green Line Out): present = No
> Pin 0x15 (Black Line Out): present = No
> Pin 0x16 (Orange Line Out): present = No
> Pin 0x18 (Pink Mic): present = No
> Pin 0x19 (Pink Mic): present = No
> Pin 0x1a (Blue Line In): present = No
> Pin 0x1b (Green HP Out): present = No
> saru at odin:~$ sudo hda-jack-sense-test
> Pin 0x14 (Green Line Out): present = No
> Pin 0x15 (Black Line Out): present = No
> Pin 0x16 (Orange Line Out): present = No
> Pin 0x18 (Pink Mic): present = No
> Pin 0x19 (Pink Mic): present = No
> Pin 0x1a (Blue Line In): present = No
> Pin 0x1b (Green HP Out): present = Yes
>
> 2. I also ran the evtest on the "Intel HDA PCH Headphone" event that I
> saw in the list and it kept outputting:
> Event: time 1323027464.077662, type 5 (Switch), code 2 (Headphone
> Insert), value 0
> Event: time 1323027464.077663, -------------- Report Sync ------------
> Event: time 1323027464.141663, type 5 (Switch), code 2 (Headphone
> Insert), value 1
> Event: time 1323027464.141664, -------------- Report Sync ------------
>
> This is happening while nothing is plugged in. I guess this has
> determined that the issue is much deeper than the pulseaudio layer as it
> is happening as kernel events. Is there a way that I could try to rule
> out a kernel driver misbehaving?

I think your first test - which sends a direct question to the codec -
makes it unlikely to be the kernel driver, but it is difficult to know
for certain. However, if you don't use your headphone jack, you can
likely work around this issue by disabling the headphone jack. You can
do that with my hda-jack-retask tool, see:

http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2011/11/29/turn-your-mic-jack-into-a-headphone-jack/

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic