[pulseaudio-discuss] padevchooser replacement

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 16 04:01:25 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Victor Mataré at 15/12/11 21:41 did gyre and gimble:
> Considering this bug is over two years old and pulseaudio probably runs
> on 99% of all Linux desktops on the planet I'm a bit confused as to how
> this can be such a non-issue.

Likely because the use of tunnels like this is a very niche usage. It's
like saying Linux is used on x% machines and that it's surprising that a
driver bug in on some obscure h/w is not fixed (cf this with the
numerous alsa bugs we have to deal with - *sigh*).

So it does have to be taken into context.

Anyways, I can disable IPv6 on avahi as a
> workaround, although to me it looks like that bug should be trivially
> fixable by simply adding a v4/v6 suffix to the sink name.

If it were that simple, it would have been resolved by now! The fact is
you DO NOT want to have two tunnels, you only want one. Having two
tunnels is both inefficient and confusing (which tunnel sink should the
user pick in the GUI?).

> Also the
> tunnel module shouldn't fail entirely just because a duplicate sink name
> is requested. Instead I should be notified of the conflict by a log
> message on the ERROR level.

This is perhaps true. I can look into bumping up the error level of this
particular report, however in some cases - like this one - it's actually
OK that one of them fails provided the other one works - we try ipv6
first and if it works then great. The problem here is that it does seem
to work with ipv6, then the loading of the v4 module fails (as expected)
but then the ipv6 module fails and unloads itself.

Really in the error you're reporting here it's not so much about the
module name conflict, but rather that ipv6 connection is ultimately not
working.

Quite what that is is likely the more interesting track to follow in
fixing the problem.

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/