[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio ssh -X equivalent

Yves (theYinYeti) pa.ml at yeti.selfip.net
Wed Feb 2 02:44:27 PST 2011

Hello,

Le 02/02/2011 09:50, rozelak at volny.cz a écrit :
> Hallo
> I would like to ask if there is (planned) something as -X option in ssh for
> PulseAudio as well. I know from the pulseaudio FAQ that it supports
> playback over the network, but I would like to have it working
> transparently - playing on my desktop office computer when I sitting in
> from of it, or playing through my laptop speakers when ssh-ing to the
> office desktop and invoking *play commands on the desktop remotely.

I'm far from being a pulseaudio expert, but I remember someone wrote that this
can't be done transparently for now.
However, doesn't pulseaudio listen on a TCP port? If so, let's assume this port
to be 1234, then something along the lines of this should work :

client>$ ssh -R 1234:localhost:1234 server
server>$ export PULSE_SERVER=localhost:1234
(I'm not sure about the name of the env variable)

Yves.