[pulseaudio-discuss] Properties to suppress save/restore of stream volumes

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Feb 2 23:16:48 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 08:34 +0200, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> I would personally just request lower latency when using cross-fade in
> RB, but then again, I don't use cross-fading in the first place, and I
> don't run RB in any power-challenged device, so I may not be the best
> judge here. It would be nice to fix gstreamer to support rewinding, or
> maybe implement a fading module in Pulseaudio that could be accessed
> through pulsesink in gstreamer, but those are probably more work than
> you're willing to do. I don't oppose having your patch in Pulseaudio,
> with the suggested changes.

In that quoted paragraph, I say "I would personally just request lower
latency". I changed my mind. Unless I was in a hurry for some strange
reason, I would actually choose to do a fading module in Pulseaudio if I
had to solve this cross-fading problem. That's because doing
cross-fading is a recurring feature in music players, and with large
buffers rewinding is necessary for responsive cross-fading track
changes. If music players can get away without implementing rewinding in
their own code, that means that a lot of work is saved (I believe
implementing rewinding is generally quite tricky).