[pulseaudio-discuss] Trying to get Pukseaudio playing nice with KDE 4.6 on Arch Linux

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Feb 13 07:01:19 PST 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 08:12 -0600, gkodadek at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to get PulseAudio running nicely over Jack so I can run my regular
> Alsa apps at the same time that Jack is running, but I think my PulseAudio is
> incorrectly configured. I've started both pulsaudio-x11 and pulseaudio-kde.
> Here's a screenshot of my system setting module; I don't think this is what i
> should be seeing:
>
> http://genek.net/LinuxAdventures/audio.png
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Phonon, so I don't really know how that window
should look like. Although the Jack sink is listed there, I guess the
Jack sink isn't available for use? (Otherwise you probably wouldn't be
asking...)

Transferring audio from Pulseaudio to Jack is implemented in module-jack
sink. As can be guessed from the module name, it creates a virtual sink
(ie. output device) in Pulseaudio. The module connects to Jack as a
client. Everything played to the Jack sink will be then available from
the output ports of the Pulseaudio client at Jack side.

module-jack-sink is not currently loaded automatically, so if it's not
loaded (check with "pactl list | grep module-jack-sink" - it doesn't
print anything if the module isn't loaded), then load it manually with
"pactl load-module module-jack-sink". See
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-jack-sink for possible module
arguments, in case the default settings aren't satisfactory.