[pulseaudio-discuss] Trying to get Pukseaudio playing nice with KDE 4.6 on Arch Linux

Gene Kodadek gkodadek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 08:21:44 PST 2011

On Monday, February 14, 2011 04:50:03 PM Jan Steffens wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Gene Kodadek <gkodadek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ladies and gentlemen, I have sound!!! Now I'm trying to figure out how
> > automate this...
>
> Either alter /etc/pulse/default.pa or copy it to ~/.pulse/default.pa
> and alter it there.

Using the instructions provided at the Arch wiki, I modified
/etc/pulse/default.pa as follows:

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output
source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink
load-module module-jack-source
load-module module-jack-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
#.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
#load-module module-udev-detect
#.else
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack udev support)
#load-module module-detect
#.endif

I then created two scripts to be executed on jack startup and shutdown. Here's
~/.jack/jack_startup:

#!/bin/bash
#Load PulseAudio

pulseaudio -D

And here's ~/.jack/jack_shutdown:

#!/bin/bash
#Kill PulseAudio

pulseaudio --kill

The result of this setup is that I have sound only when Jack is running, which
is not exactly what I had in mind. What I want to achieve here is to have
Pulseaudio off under ordinary circumstances, and only start when Jack is
running.