[pulseaudio-discuss] Trying to get Pukseaudio playing nice with KDE 4.6 on Arch Linux

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 15 02:10:01 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 15/02/11 00:28 did gyre and gimble:
> If with jack1, you'd have to add logic to unload the
> alsa modules before starting jack and reloading them after stopping
> jack.

Yeah this was what I meant before when I suggested setting the card
profile to "off". This has the effect of removing the alsa-sink/source
modules but it's easy to reverse (just change the profile back).

At present, even with jack2 and the dbus-based suspend, I suspect the
setting of the card profile is still preferred. As the reservation
protocol keeps the sinks loaded (but in a suspended state), the streams
connected to it just sit there "corked", rather than move across to the
jack sinks (I think... not tested this so just going on theory which I
hope is correct).

I'd likely be in favour of the device reservation dbus protocol not
actually suspend things, but actually set the appropriate card profile
to 'Off' (temporarily - e.g. suppress the saving of it) and restore it
back when the dbus reservation is released. This would all e.g. a Dummy
output to be loaded or the Jack Source in this case to "take over" the
running streams (module-rescue-streams does it's work).

Does this last suggestion make sense/have any drawbacks?

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]