[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio duplicate trace in /var/log/syslog

Jon Grant jg at jguk.org
Sun Feb 20 04:47:40 PST 2011

Hello Tanu

Thank you for your repy

Tanu Kaskinen wrote, On 20/02/11 07:19:
> On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 12:33 +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have the following occurring every 5 seconds in syslog. I wanted to
>> offer to submit a patch for review to remove some of the duplicate
>> lines.
>
> Lines 4 and 5 are not duplicates. If you look at the PIDs, there are two
> pulseaudio processes. The daemon launching works so that the initial
> process (29468) forks a new process (29470) that becomes the actual
> daemon. The "failed to initialise daemon" message comes from the child
> process, and it's useful information for debugging, since it indicates
> that the execution reached that particular position in the code. The
> "daemon startup failed" message comes from the parent process. It's
> printed always if the parent process doesn't get a message from the
> child process telling that startup was successful. It's not a good idea
> to remove that message.

Ok. I understand now. Perhaps the daemon could be named pulseaudiod to
distinguish it.

> Line 3 looks quite redundant, though. But I checked the code, and the
> place where it's printed is such that the message is printed whenever
> line probably isn't a good idea, otherwise other error situations may
> not get logged adequately.
>
> So, since there are no simple fixes, I don't think it makes sense to
> spend effort to try to change the logging to be less repetitive. I can't
> see this being a big problem. A bigger problem is that pulseaudio is
> trying to start again and again, and always fails. The problem appears
> to be that loading module-esound-protocol-unix fails, preventing the
> whole daemon from starting. Apparently the esound socket is being used
> by some other process. To find out which process, run
>
>      netstat -l --unix -p | grep esd

Thank you for this suggestion. The problem is not visible so far today,
so I will keep the command line and use it next time it occurs.

I do see the following log today:

Feb 20 10:44:25 note pulseaudio[1722]: ratelimit.c: 107 events suppressed

This may not be related. However this message is output even when I am
not playing any audio on idle system. Any idea which kind of events were
suppressed?

>> In addition, https://tango.0pointer.de does not have a signed SSL
>> cert. Could it get a CAcert one? Or even a verisign SSL cert.
>> Currently we get a firefox warning when connecting.
>
> It's up to Lennart. When the web server was set up, I believe it was a
> conscious decision to go with a self-signed cert, but I don't know if
> the reasons for the decision are still valid today...

Ok, maybe Lennart will jump in and reply.. If donation is need for SSL
cert, I can donate to cover the cost. or CAcert option.

Best regards, Jon