[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Alsa UCM integration.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 24 12:52:50 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and pl bossart at 24/02/11 20:20 did gyre and gimble:
>> The initial version of the UCM module is available at the following link:
>> http://git.slimlogic.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/pulseaudio.git/log/?h=9.20-ucm_module
>>
>> I'm still working in the module, It is work in progress to verify the
>> current verb when the stream is closed, also it is needed to add more
>> code to work with the profiles and the use cases. Sink, source and
>> device data could be taken from the proplist of the verb, and this is
>> pending too.
>
> Hi Margarita,
> I looked at your patches and have the following comments:
> - any reason why your version of PulseAudio is 1.3 years old. The
> previous patches on your branch are from 2009-11-18, quite a while
> ago. It'll make upstreaming difficult.
> - you now have a separate module-alsa-ucm module, but it's called with
> a device name as a parameter. So if I have one USB headphone and one
> USB mic, this module will be called twice. It's not clear to me then
> how the virtual device would be handled, and how this is different
> from inserting all the code in module-alsa-card as you did it in your
> previous version?
> - can you explain why you set the verb using the hook
> PA_CORE_HOOK_SINK_INPUT_NEW, with priority PA_HOOK_EARLY+15. There are
> other audio-policy related modules that may use different hooks, such
> as PA_CORE_HOOK_SINK_INPUT_PUT. I would think you want to set the verb
> at the UCM level after all this logic has made decisions, at the last
> possible moment before data start flowing.
> - how do we make use of modifiers?
> - is there a better way to detect that UCM is supported, instead of
> having a #define in module-alsa-card.c?
>
> I realize I have more questions than suggestions, this is a good start anyway...

Pierre, If you are able to get to IRC in the next 10 minutes, we can
discuss this in real time with Margarita! It would be great if you could
join us on #pulseaudio-meeting.

I'm not sure the email address I used to notify you directly a couple
days ago works (the nospam bit makes me suspicious!).

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]