[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Alsa UCM integration.

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 08:10:24 PST 2011

> Modifiers can be used in the following situations:-
>
> 1) Music is being played. Pulseaudio has configured the Music use case
> verb via UCM. The system wants to play a tone, this could be a beep or
> even a ring tone for an incoming call. Pulseaudio would then check for a
> UCM "play tone" modifier for the current verb and then enable the
> modifier if it exists. This "play tone" modifier would setup the
> hardware to play both Music (i.e the verb) and additionally tones (the
> modifier). The modifier may use a different ALSA pcm and hardware volume
> controls to that of the main verb.
>
> If no "play tone" modifier exists then Pulsewould mix the tone into the
> music being played in software as it does atm.
>
> 2) Phone call is in progress. Pulseaudio has enabled the phone call UCM
> verb. The user wants to play music on the phone call. The modifier would
> be "Music" so Pulseaudio will check that a modifier exist for this when
> the phone call verb is active and enable this modifier.
>
> If no music modifier is available in the phone call verb configuration
> then pulseaudio would mix the music and voice in software.

Make sense.
But I am not sure the profiles as defined today in PulseAudio can work
with modifiers. What we discussed yesterday is that when a profile is
selected then you would set the UCM verb and know about all possible
sinks. We would need additional logic to have profile modifiers, or we
would need extra profiles to represent all possible combinations
(speech, speech+tone, speech+music, etc).
-Pierre