[pulseaudio-discuss] A few pulseadio related issues

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Feb 28 02:12:33 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Rafał Mużyło at 27/02/11 14:44 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:27:54AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> I'm not sure I remember the bug. Can you please post a link?
>>
>> Also, are you creating X11 sessions as the same user or as two different
>> users?
>>
> Well, that the problem - as one user, that's why I'm saying a WONTFIX is
> likely. The ticket is #784.

Yes I suspect WONTFIX seeing as the session bus will in the future be
replaced by a user bus in terms of dbus which officially breaks "two
sessions as one user" logins. As this is likely the way things are going
you'll probably have much motivation to fix this problem.

That said, it likely *is* a bug, likely related to disconnecting from
the session manager.

That said, I'm still not convinced that the problem is in PA, but rather
in the session manager itself. If the session manager misbehaves, then
it will kill the PA process. As you are using a slightly less used
session manager, I'm wondering if the problem actually lies there?

>> Interesting, thanks for that, I'll take a look - I don't really follow
>> the libglade stuff so not aware of deprecation etc., but I'll certainly
>> find out. Did you convert the git master version? If so, if you could
>> provide git formatted patches, (e.g. commit your changes ot your local
>> git repo and then run either git format-patch or even git sent-email),
>> then you would be properly credited for your work :)
>>
> Well, technically, GtkBuilder was *created* to deprecate libglade.
> When it was introduced in gtk+ 2.16, a few features were missing,
> but in the meanwhile, all the useful ones are there and as pavucontrol
> already uses intltool, there's no problem with translations either.
> Ever since then libglade has been in bugfixes-only mode.

OK, thanks for the info :)

>>> On that note: module-device-manager isn't present in the config file
>>> from the tarball, yet git of pavucontrol complains if it's not present.
>>> Is that module considered stable by now ?
>>
>> It's not in default.pa but that's deliberate. It's currently only used
>> on KDE and thus the module is loaded by the script start-pulseaudio-kde.
>> It can be used by non-KDE users in a kind of passive mode, but then
>> there is no easy easy way to enable the routing only under KDE.
>>
>> Bits of the functionality will ultimately be merged into the core and
>> thus will be available generally in the future.
>>
> In such case, pavucontrol shouldn't complain so loudly about it missing,
> going as far as printing debug messages in the terminal.

I think complaining with a debug message to the terminal is quite quiet.
Showing a popup GUI dialog would be totally overkill, but I'm not sure
how much quieter it could be and still show that info....

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]