[pulseaudio-discuss] sidetone settings on USB headset

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:47:59 PST 2011

Hi,
I have a nice USB headset that I use for VoIP calls. It does insulate
a great deal from my noisy colleagues, but as a result I have to tweak
the sidetone gain to hear my own voice (most headsets provide the
capability of looping the mic input to the speakers with almost no
latency).
I can play with the 'Mic Playback Volume' in alsamixer, but I have to
do this everytime I plug the headset. alsamixer doesn't remember the
value, nor does pulseaudio. Pulseaudio only stores the 'Mic Capture
Volume' and the 'Speaker Playback Volume' (I found the names by
playing with the values in alsamixer to set the sidetone gain to the
max and zero the capture gain, see below)
Any idea on how I can record my preferred setting once and forall? Is
this best done at the pulseaudio or alsa level?
Thanks
-Pierre

$ amixer -c1 contents
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=on
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=1,min=0,max=464,step=0
  : values=464
  | dBminmax-min=-41.00dB,max=-12.00dB
numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=on
numid=6,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=1,min=0,max=13,step=0
  : values=0
  | dBminmax-min=16.00dB,max=29.00dB
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Speaker Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=on
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Speaker Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=2,min=0,max=44,step=0
  : values=44,44