[pulseaudio-discuss] Configure Pulse Audio playback device

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 12 12:26:03 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Richard Rogers at 12/01/11 19:39 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello,
>
> PulseAudio is working on my install of Fedora 13 (2.6.34.7-66.fc13.x86_64), with Gnome 2.30.2.
>
> All these commands work:
> aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Center.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Left.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Right.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Side_Left.wav
> [RR at RR ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Side_Right.wav
>
> The issue is that I can only hear sounds as long as I've got my headphones plugged in.

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Should you be hearing things out the
speakers when you unplug your headphones or is this the "expected"
behaviour?

> I have a monitor with integrated speakers. I use an HDMI cable to connect the monitor with the PC. This is the monitor I have: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938558&Sku=H94-2804
>
> How may I change Pulse Audio to send output over the HDMI cable to the monitor?

I presume your HDMI device shows up in the audio settings in Gnome?
(gnome-volume-control) Your alsa-info.sh output suggests it should be
listed there.

If so, just set this device as your default and aplay should output
there instead.

If your HDMI device does not show up, the first thing to do is to send
us a link to, or attach (tho' there is a 40k limit on this list) the
output from:

pacmd list

There will likely be follow up questions after that tho' so you may
prefer to come on IRC (#pulseaudio) for more interactive debugging.

Cheers!

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]