[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Dynamic reconfiguration of sampling rate

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:53:56 PST 2011

>> In my normal usage, there is a potential (solvable) problem with this
>> approach, though. I use Rhythmbox and most of my songs are at 44100 Hz,
>> but there are some at 48000 Hz. If I start playing one of the 48000 Hz
>> songs, all subsequent streams will be upsampled to 48000 Hz till I pause
>> for >5 seconds.
>>
>> As you suggest, this will become less of a problem if we decrease the
>> idle time required before suspend, and IMO this enough to make this a
>> non-blocker.
>
> I wonder what happens if we set the timeout to zero for ALSA devices?

Arun, I just tried with load-module module-suspend-on-idle timeout=0,
and it seems to work fine on the HDAudio output. I was able to switch
back and forth between 44.1 and 48kHz tracks without audible issues. I
am not sure what happens with Rhythmbox if you enabled the cross-fade
between tracks, most likely you would remain at the rate defined by
the first song.
-Pierre