[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI sink is stereo-only

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Sat Jan 22 23:19:15 PST 2011

Hi,

sorry to poke you about that, but that problem isn't a PA one, it's
either ALSA or Radeon, but none of them even answered. So I figured you
guys have had a lot of experience dealing with ALSA drivers troubles and
could tell me where to look for solutions (or at least correct
diagnostic).

I have a Radeon HD2600, linked though a DVI-to-HDMI cable to a Yamaha
RX-1600 amp. ALSA doesn't accept something else than stereo files, e.g:

[root at awak:~]$ speaker-test -Dhw:1,3 -c6 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.23

Playback device is hw:1,3
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
WAV file(s)
Channels count (6) not available for playbacks: Argument invalide
Setting of hwparams failed: Argument invalide

always fails for -cx with x != 2. Which is weird because HDMI should
support 8 PCM channels AFAIK. My amp is configured for 5.1.

Do you guys know of any way of debugging this and find where is the
problem (snd_hda_intel, snd_hda_codec, snd_hda_codec_hdmi, or even the
amp) ?

Thanks,
        Xav