[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI sink is stereo-only

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Sun Jan 23 12:24:00 PST 2011

Le dimanche 23 janvier 2011 à 10:16 +0000, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> IIUC, HDMI is a digital output and as such only accepts either stereo
> PCM or pre-encoded streams that you pass through directly without any
> mixing or interference.

Well, IIUC you're speaking about optical outputs which have the bandwith
only for stereo PCM or dolby/dts encoded 6/7/8 channels, whereas HDMI
has the bandwidth & protocol for 8 channels. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia_Interface

> At the moment, only git master PA support passthrough, but you should be
> able to do it via ALSA quite happily if the application supports it.

Yes, 5.1 passthrough works with ALSA.

> You can however set things up with a special ALSA plugin that allows you
> to encode 6 channel audio into the special format and push it into the
> HDMI. I blogged about this recently, so those instructions may work well
> for you:
>
> http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/12/bobby-digital-in-5-1-surround/

I'll have a look, thanks. But that was not what I was looking for :)

	Xav