[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI sink is stereo-only

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Sun Jan 23 13:55:11 PST 2011

Le dimanche 23 janvier 2011 à 21:13 +0000, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> 'Twas brillig, and Xavier Bestel at 23/01/11 20:24 did gyre and gimble:
> > Le dimanche 23 janvier 2011 à 10:16 +0000, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> >> IIUC, HDMI is a digital output and as such only accepts either stereo
> >> PCM or pre-encoded streams that you pass through directly without any
> >> mixing or interference.
> >
> > Well, IIUC you're speaking about optical outputs which have the bandwith
> > only for stereo PCM or dolby/dts encoded 6/7/8 channels, whereas HDMI
> > has the bandwidth & protocol for 8 channels. See
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia_Interface
>
> In that case PA should just piggy back on the ALSA devices
> "surround51:1" etc. (where 1 is the card number of the HDMI).

There's not such device:

[root at awak:~]$ aplay -L
null
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
hdmi:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

(Ignore the CARD=Intel entries)
There definitely a problem with ALSA, but I don't know how to diagnose
it better.

	Xav