[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio network audio server perfect setup

Thomas Riché thomas.riche at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 04:28:52 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Thomas Riché at 30/01/11 10:02 did gyre and gimble:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to get the perfect pulseaudio network audio server setup.
> >
> > So far, I have pulseaudio daemon running on my sound server.
> > I am able to access it from my clients using padevchooser.
> >
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1/ padevchooser is tagged as obsolete in the pulseaudio documentation.
> > What sould I use instead ?
>
> Generally we'd recommend pavucontrol as a mixer app. padevchooser just
> sets properties on the X11 root window and doesn't actually do anything
> "live" with the pulseaudio server. The best approach generally is to use
> "tunnels" from your local PA server to the network server. This way you
> can move your streams from local devices to remote ones without having
> to stop and restart them.
>
> > 2/ The last thing I miss is the use of my multimedia keyboard to be able
> > to control the server's volume.
> > This is not a pulseaudio issue, rather a GNOME one (yes, I am using
> > GNOME) But I figured that someone from pulseaudio could better
> > understand this problem:
> > So, If I use the volume control applet, it is totaly transparent for me
> > (when it comes to adjusting the volume levels) weather I use my local
> > server or the networked one.
> > However, the actions of my volume up/down keys only affects my local
> > sound server...too bad !
>
> IIRC the volume keys affect the "default" sink. Therefore to change the
> remote audio, just change the default sink to be the one that is the
> tunnel to the remote server :)
>
> Ok, I've set up a tunnel.
It is working as expected, the volume keys now affects the selected sink !!
Thank you.

However, I noticed a degradation in sound quality:
- the sound is sometimes missing
- when i change track in vlc, the beginning of the sound is chopping

do you have any idea what could be causing this ?

thanks again

Thomas