[pulseaudio-discuss] NVidia HDMI output

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 7 10:25:56 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Stephen Warren at 07/06/11 17:47 did gyre and gimble:
> Paul Menzel wrote at Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:17 AM:
>> Am Dienstag, den 07.06.2011, 17:38 +0300 schrieb Lasse Kärkkäinen:
>>> The NVidia HDMI ALSA device, present on recent hardware when the nvidia
>>> driver is used, is not properly used by Pulseaudio. You need to use
>>> hw:NVidia,7 (I think Pulseaudio uses hw:NVidia,3 by default), the number
>
> Be aware that the value "7" (vs. 3, 8, or 9) depends on your GPU and which
> connector your monitor is attached to, as explained in the document that
> Paul linked to.
>
>>> of channels needs to be configurable (I use six) and Alsamixer control
>>> "SPDIF 1" needs to be unmuted. It may also be helpful to lock the sample
>>> rate to avoid switching delays.
>>>
>>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:NVidia,7 channels=6 rate=48000  #
>>> This is what I use
>>>
>>> All this can be done by manually specifying alsa-sink and unmuteing the
>>> channel but it really should be automatic as more and more users are
>>> getting these systems and thus suffer of the problem.
>
> In Ubuntu Natty, David Henningson has implemented some profiles for Pulse
> Audio which allow the end-user to select which PCM device to use within the
> GPU's audio controller. That should solve your problem. I haven't yet added
> this information to that document. I'm not sure what the upstream status of
> those profiles is.

I haven't added them yet but if it's a sensible short term work around
I'm certainly not against it.

I also still need to reply to your other message a week or so back
Stephen. I've only just managed to catch up on the alsa-devel threads a
couple days ago so I'm slowly working through my backlog!

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]