[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio doesn't seem to find my HDMI audio card

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jun 8 13:16:52 PDT 2011

[Friendly request: Please post in plain text when posting to public
mailing lists. Reading a standard formatted email is far easier than
dealing with multiple different formats from different people when you
have to real lots of messages every day! Thanks.]

'Twas brillig, and Marie-Noëlle Augendre at 08/06/11 10:58 did gyre and
gimble:
>     Can you please do the following:
>
>      1. Select the Manhattan HDMI as the default device.
>

> I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that:
>  - I see Default Server, Default Sink and Default Source when I right
> click on the icon of the dashboard; which one is it
>  - then I have to choose between Default and Other ... but I don't know
> how to complete the information requested for Other

You are using padevchooser. Please don't use it. Use
gnome-volume-control or pavucontrol which you mentioned last time.

> ... unless this is somewhere else? I admit I'm a bit confused with these
> configuration settings.
>

>      2. Play some audio with the application of your choice (it doesn't
>     matter if you cannot hear it, we just want it to at least try!)
>
>      3. Run "pacmd list" on the command line and attach the result.
>

> File attached.

OK, so at the moment that file indicates you do not have *any* sinks
detected. This typically happens if you
 a) Do not have permission to load the audio devices (this can happen if
you use su after logging in to a graphical session) or
 b) Some other application is "hogging" the devices and thus we cannot
access them.

I can tell this as PA has loaded an automatic dummy device in place of
any real hardware.

Perhaps you restarted PA while some other application was running or
perhaps you ran the command as root or similar when your user had the
device open as your user.

Please:
 1. Ensure you are not using padevchooser (just remove it from your
system as it messes up the client configuration)
 2. Do a fresh reboot.
 3. Select the HDMI device in gnome-volume-control.
 4. Play some sound.

If it all works, then great. If not, please grab pacmd list again and
resend it.

All the best

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]