[pulseaudio-discuss] Microphone Confusion

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 9 09:09:54 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Robert Stone at 09/06/11 17:02 did gyre and gimble:
> I suppose you know that Skype on Linux only has PulseAudio as its only
> "option". Not really an option. Now that windoze has bought out Skype I
> suppose we'll all be migrating to Ekiga.

It only has PA when a PA daemon is detected. If you do not use PA, then
Skype will use ALSA directly. The GUI within Skype is all that is
changed (and this is very much something we promote). Users should use
the GUI that is part of their desktop environment, not non-HCI
compliant, buried and hidden, application specific config pages.

One place to edit the sound preferences for your whole system. It's hard
to adapt to this knowing how things used to work, but it's a much more
sensible approach overall when starting from a clean base :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]