[pulseaudio-discuss] Suggested improvements for the raop module

Bryan Gleeson bryangleeson at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 14:34:14 PDT 2011

Colin,

Attached is a git format-patch for the socket size handling change. It simply removes the call to setsockopt so that the OS determined value (taken from the sysctl parameters) is used unchanged. The default values used in typical Linux distributions should be OK, though a user can always change this using sysctl -w.

After looking further into the fmtp parameter operation I found that it did not change the receive window size used, therefore I made no changes in this area. There were small differences in the average steady-state windowing values used when this parameter was changed, but in all cases the same window size of approx 100k was used.

> Sounds good. Thanks very much for looking at this stuff :)
> I'm always
> happy to see people improve on the base I created (it
> certainly has
> plenty bits that need improving :D)

Glad to help out - I found the instructions on your blog for building and testing pulseaudio very useful.

One minor point - when I built from rpm source, I was able to find the external package dependencies (rpm -qpR) easily. When using git I found that I needed to manually install some extra JSON devel packages. I'm not that familar with git and whether there is an easy way to find out what extra packages are needed, or why more packages were needed building from git rather than rpm source, but you may want to check into this.

> Actually I think the video stuff is somewhat simpler... I
> think the
> sender side just sets up a http-esque URL and hands it over
> to the
> player side and tells it "play from here <timestamp>"
> and that's it.
> Whereas the audio side is still very much a push system.
>
> Not sure on the logic of that, but I guess it's just a time
> + long term
> playback (e.g. > 1 item) thing. But that said, I've not
> looked too much
> at the "AirPlay" stuff (I appreciate the term AirPlay
> encompasses the
> AirTunes stuff which used to be separate).

Yes AirPlay was renamed since iTunes is no longer needed - there are now iPad/iPhone apps that can stream directly to an AirPlay device, though I haven't tried this out yet. It will be interesting to see if AirPlay actually becomes a de facto standard supported by most CE devices - DLNA has been around for years but has not been that successful.

Regards,
Bryan