[pulseaudio-discuss] Device name of audio headset in pulseaudio?

Colin Beckingham colbec at start.ca
Mon Jun 20 10:14:42 PDT 2011

On 06/20/2011 11:31 AM, Andrew Burgess wrote:
> On 06/20/2011 07:44:40 AM, Colin Beckingham wrote:
>
>> From time to time I use a Bluetooth headset which connects via a
>> dongle adapter. PA detects it fine and allows me to use it with many
>> applications.
>>
>> One application in particular needs me to tell it using the AUDIODEV
>> environment variable what device I am using. With the 3 constantly
>> attached devices this is no problem (AUDIODEV=/dev/dsp0, etc.).
>> However I have not found a way of associating a /dev/??? entry with
>> the temporary BT headsets. As far as I can see the list of devices in
>> /dev does not change when PA picks up the headset. Is this a PA issue
>> or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks to Colin G and Andrew B for comments.

I think I am running Alsa and not OSS which must be happening by emulation.

/dev/snd/by-id/ contains only

usb-Logitech_Logitech_Wireless_Headset-00
usb-Microsoft_Microsoft®_LifeCam_Cinema_TM_-02

even when BT headset connected. I don't seem to have a convenient udev
utility, just the daemon which I am not sure how to manipulate. There
does not seem to be a restartable service.

The application is the speech recognizer Julius. Some of the docs talk
about specifying AUDIODEV but I have now found other instructions
relating to ALSADEV and even pulseaudio. I have attempted to configure
Julius for PA but my configure is sticking on an issue related to
--------
checking for pa_simple_new in -lpulse-simple... (cached) no
configure: error: no PulseAudio header!
--------

I'm sure I have alsa-devel and libpulse-devel installed, so I am chasing
this issue now with Julius forum. Thanks.