[pulseaudio-discuss] Configuring PulseAudio to use ALSA PCM plugin

Ben C bchang_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 18:16:09 PST 2011

Hello, I'm trying to configure PulseAudio to use an ALSA PCM plugin in the audio
chain.

PulseAudio as been configured with:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=my_sink

And ALSA has been configured with:

pcm.my_sink {
    type my_pcm_plugin
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

However, my_sink seems to get hogged, and be considered "busy". I had to
configure dmix in order for this setup to work. Is that normal? Am I configuring
something incorrectly? I would assume that to PulseAudio, these ALSA output
devices are the same, whether it's a physical device or a virtual one. But when
using the default configuration (and my_pcm_plugin is not in the chain), dmix
isn't necessary.

Thanks for your help.