[pulseaudio-discuss] Configuring PulseAudio to use ALSA PCM plugin

Ben C bchang_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 11:39:55 PST 2011

>On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 18:16 -0800, Ben C wrote:
>> Hello, I'm trying to configure PulseAudio to use an ALSA PCM plugin in the
>>audio
>>
>> chain.
>>
>> PulseAudio as been configured with:
>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=my_sink
>>
>> And ALSA has been configured with:
>>
>> pcm.my_sink {
>>     type my_pcm_plugin
>>     slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
>> }
>>
>> However, my_sink seems to get hogged, and be considered "busy". I had to
>> configure dmix in order for this setup to work. Is that normal? Am I
>>configuring
>>
>> something incorrectly? I would assume that to PulseAudio, these ALSA output
>> devices are the same, whether it's a physical device or a virtual one. But when
>>
>> using the default configuration (and my_pcm_plugin is not in the chain), dmix

>> isn't necessary.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>
>Do you have another line in your default.pa loading
>module-alsa-card/sink before the line above? module-udev-detect or
>similar?

The modules that are loaded before the line are:
module-device-restore
module-stream-restore
module-card-restore
module-augment-properties

After the alsa sink, module-udev-detect is loaded. Module-alsa-card isn't loaded
by the configuration file, but it's there, maybe it's loaded by
module-udev-detect.

Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!