[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem in running locally compiled pulse utility programs

ssrk ssrktce at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:17:18 PST 2011

Hi,

I run Ubuntu 9.10, which by default has pulseaudio and utilities like pactl,
pacmd.

I downloaded pulseaudio source tarball
http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/pulseaudio/pulseaudio-0.9.22.tar.gz
and extracted it, ran configure script, compiled it and tried to run the
locally built pactl utility.
While running pactl(the one which I built), it gave me "Connection failure:
Connection refused" Error.
But the default 'pactl' utility which is already present in /usr/bin/ works
fine.

$ ./configure --prefix=<tmpdir>
$ make
$ make install
$ cd <tmpdir>
$ ./bin/pactl stat
Connection failure: Connection refused

Can someone tell me, what am I missing?
Why is the locally built pactl doesn't work? while the default
/usr/bin/pactl works fine.
Are these utility programs coupled to 'pulseaudio' along with which it is
compiled?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,