[pulseaudio-discuss] how to capture both mic and line-out

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 20 11:33:54 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Dolfy at 07/03/11 16:12 did gyre and gimble:
> Any ideas on how to capture both line-in and line-out at the same
> time? Like to record a skype or other IM conversation.

It's possible but not that easy. In an ideal world someone would write
module-combine-source but that doesn't exist at the moment.

In theory all you need to do is:
 0. Assume you mic is called "my_mic" and your "output is called
"my_output". Check with pacmd list-sinks and pacmd list-sources.
 1. Create a null sink. Call it "null" (pactl load-module
module-null-sink sink_name="null")
 2. Create a looback from your mic to the null sink. This means
everything you say will be played back on the null sink. (pactl
load-module module-loopback source="my_mic" sink="null"
 3. Create a loopback from your output's monitor to the null sink. This
means everything that is played back will be played on the null sink.
(pactl load-module module-loopback source="my_output.monitor" sink="null")
 4. When you want to record the whole lot, you can simply record from
"null.monitor" and you'll get the combined output from both your mic and
what was played back on your card.

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]