[pulseaudio-discuss] Current problems with git master

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Mar 26 04:21:56 PDT 2011

Hi,

OK, just to close off this thread....

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 28/02/11 20:26 did gyre and gimble:
> Just cataloguing my issues so we don't forget....
>
> 1. It seems that when running pulseaudio -k, that the daemon terminates
> pretty brutally... I'm not yet sure if the daemon dies horribly or just
> doesn't unload the modules properly. Due to this, the X11 properties on
> the root window are left over (because they were inserted by
> module-x11-publish). Due to this, the daemon will not autospawn or be
> started properly.
>
> This indicates two separate problems:
>  a) The module shutdown process is not quite working right.

Fixed in:
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=1e381fbffc190fdede27d6f27a2d113daf3e791d

Turns out there was no code to do this, so I wrote some in:
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=7aa8a3fa8015d17240e5fc27bf44eb7d22e7e13a

> 2. Startup is no longer atomic:
>
> With PA not running and autospawn disabled:
>  [colin at jimmy ~]$ start-pulseaudio-x11
>  Connection failure: Connection refused
>  pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
>
> PA does actually start but it's the pactl load-module's that cause this
> connection refused error. This means that pulseaudio --start returns
> before the daemon is ready for connections. This may also be something
> that is affecting the stable-queue (as I have heard of some startup
> races but never been able to reproduce).

Fixed in:
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=d47a33775b55877b9df42add3346779bba077299
 and
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=34ddc5b9c533ed83d53238fff0777663f9c50336

It was not a problem on stable-queue so any startup races that exist are
probably still there... (I have no real proof they do exists... just
hearsay and hunches)

> Need to do some more testing :) (and fixing).

All done :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]