[pulseaudio-discuss] Help with pulsaudio

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 03:34:40 PDT 2011

Hi, I'm replying to Amgad via Daniel's quotation of Amgad's reply to Daniel:

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Daniel Mack <zonque at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Amgad,
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Yousif, Amgad (UK)
> <Amgad.Yousif at baesystems.com> wrote:
>> Sorry about that I tried to find individual email but couldn't se any.
>
> No, the idea is to use public mailing lists for free software projects
> and *not* to ask questions to individual developers privately. My
> comment about the disclaimer was just about the fact that nobody can
> answer to a mail which contains such a disclaimer because the word
> "priviledged" is unclear in this context.
>
> There are some rules to obey on such lists and the two most important ones are:
>
> - Always reply to the list, and not only to the person who answered
> you. This way, other people can join the conversation and collaborate,
> and the discussion can be found in the archives later. Hence, always
> use "reply-to-all". Always.
>
> - Do not top-post but quote your answers inline. That helps following
> the discussion a lot.
>
>> Anyways thanks for the reply. I already looked at the networking page
>> very well and couldn't see how any section on that could help with what
>> im trying to do!.
>>
>> I am trying to build a Ubuntu 10.10 server which I can remotely access
>> from a windows machine. I am using a server called freeNX. The remote
>> desktop works great except there is no sound on the remote session. I
>> looked into this and found out that freeNX uses ESD to transfer sound
>> through the session. But ESD has been replaced with pulsaudio on Ubuntu.
>> I don't want to used ESD. I want to use Pulsaidio (as this is now used
>> instead).
>>
>> This is the most useful information I have on getting sound through
>> freeNX, if you can help or have any idea how this could be achieved
>> through pulsaudio please let me know.
>>
>> What should I do to play sound inside my NX session?
>> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR03D00355
>>
>> How to enable ESD sound support on Linux distributions not shipping
>> the Enlightened Sound Daemon
>> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR11E00491
>
> Unfortunately, I have not much of an idea about Windows integration of
> PulseAudio, but I know that there has been some discussion about that
> recently on this list. So maybe someone else can help?

Amgad--

See the below thread for a lengthy discussion on the current state of
PulseAudio on Windows, including how to obtain a copy of the binaries
as created by Maarten Bosmans (so you wouldn't have to compile it from
source code if you're OK with possibly not using the very latest
version).

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.pulseaudio.general/8717

To sum it up, you should be able to treat your PulseAudio server on
Windows as if it were running on Linux. Both server-side and
client-side support are supported. That is to say, you can have
PulseAudio clients running on Windows and they are able to playback
either to a local PulseAudio server or to a remote one. And
symmetrically, you can run PulseAudio clients on other computers (even
Linux computers) and play sound to a PulseAudio *server* running on
Windows. So the Windows side can be a Pulse client, Pulse server, or
both. All of it is completely network transparent, but if you involve
multiple computers, then I would recommend a LAN-style gigabit
ethernet uplink (or 100 Mbps at least) between them for best
performance, preferably just a patchover cable from NIC to NIC
(routers add latency).

HTH,

Sean