[pulseaudio-discuss] Help with pulsaudio

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:34:50 PDT 2011

Please reply to the list.

2011/3/28 Yousif, Amgad (UK) <Amgad.Yousif at baesystems.com>:

> Hi Maarten,
>
> I already looked at the networking page very well and couldn't see how any section on that could help with what im trying to do!.
>
> I am trying to build a Ubuntu 10.10 server which I can remotely access from a windows machine. I am using a server called freeNX. The remote desktop works great except there is no sound on the remote session. I looked into this and found out that freeNX uses ESD to transfer sound through the session. But ESD has been replaced with pulsaudio on Ubuntu. I don't want to used ESD. I want to use Pulsaidio (as this is now used instead).

If you want to install PulseAudio on Windows, see
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WindowsSupport. Enable
module-native-protocol-tcp with arguments that allow your Linux PC to
connect. http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-native-protocol-unixtcp
If you then set the PULSE_SERVER environment variable to the name/IP
of your Windows PC, all applications should connect to that computer
for playing sound.

> This is the most useful information I have on getting sound through freeNX, if you can help or have any idea how this could be achieved through pulsaudio please let me know.
>
> What should I do to play sound inside my NX session?
> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR03D00355
>
> How to enable ESD sound support on Linux distributions not shipping
> the Enlightened Sound Daemon
> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR11E00491

If NX only has ESD, that means it is crappy and outdated. You can try
to make it work without installing pulse on the windows box by using
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-esound-sink on the Linux
side.

> Thanks again.
>
> Regards