[pulseaudio-discuss] 2 sound devices, one mostly won't play, but works

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Mar 28 22:26:09 PDT 2011

On 03/28/2011 11:09 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 12:52 PM, Doug wrote:
>> Hello, group--I'm a newbie here.  Running PCLOS with KDE 4.6.1.  I
>> recently decided that I wanted to be able to try out SKYPE, and I
>> don't want to move cables around, so, since I had an old sound card,
>> I plugged it in. Up til then, sound was on MOBO and worked
>> fine.  Now sound only comes out p/i card, except once for a minute,
>> until I messed with the GUI PAVU, and now it's back to the
>> p/i card again, only.  I have tried sound output from an internet
>> radio station and from an mp3 file on a CD.  It was the CD that briefly
>> produced output from the MOBO sound device.  Here is what the system
>> says about the cards:
>> (Trident is p/i; SiS is on MOBO)
>>
>> [doug@(none) ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>>  0 [TRID4DWAVENX   ]: TRID4DWAVENX - Trident TRID4DWAVENX
>>                       Trident TRID4DWAVENX PCI Audio at 0xdc00, irq 17
>>  1 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
>>                       SiS SI7012 with ALC655 at irq 18
>>
>> I went as far as I could with the instructions in "The Perfect
>> Setup"--I'm in group 2, and I edited /etc/group
>> to eliminate everything and then added "pulse."  At this point I got
>> a little confused, coming to "Third Party
>> Applications" and ALSA Applications:  my asound.conf is not in /etc
>> but in /usr/share/xbmc/system.  So far I
>> have not messed with that.  After that, I got even more perplexed:
>> what do I do (if anything) with the virtual
>> ALSA device pulse?  (I find /etc/pulse and
>> /etc/sound/profiles/pulse.)  What do I do with % aplay and % amixer?
>> And in which file?
>>
>> Further down, "If you want to make PulseAudio driver the default, use
>> something like this in the ALSA configuration
>> files:"  Well, I don't know if I want to make the PulseAudio driver
>> the default; I don't know what that would do
>> for me or to me.  And if I did, just what are the "ALSA configuration
>> files"?  Then if I should do this, where would
>> I put the load-module module-alsa-sink device-hw:0?
>>
>> One other thing:  To the far right of each "port" is a green ball
>> with a white checkmark.  It cannot be unchecked or
>> modified, so I don't know what it's supposed to do. The plug-in card
>> shows up as the lower port, even tho it appears
>> first on the list above, and has a lower IRQ.
>>
>> Sorry to be such a dunce, but I'm afraid I have exhausted my
>> resources. All help and advice gratefully appreciated.
>>

> You can change the order of the cards in the asoundrc or set the
> default card in the sound preferences (pavuctl) to be the onboard device.

(I didn't snip out the old material, in case someone else comes in late
and wants to know what's going on.)

I don't have asoundrc.  It's not loaded, and it doesn't exist in the
Synaptic package manager.  I have tried every combination I could think
of in
pavuctl.  I'm using the gui, because when I opened the program in the
Konsole, it produced a graphic image that looks identical to the gui
I get off the KDE screen. There is nothing that says "default" and once
in a while the green check box, if you hover over it, will say something
like
set preference or something like that, but snapping on the one for the
port I want to listen to does nothing.  The only way I get any kind of
sound out of the top port is when I move the volume sliders, and the
speakers go "bong" every time I do it.

It seems to me that it would be giving up if I have to build or buy a
switch box, and just pull the second card out, assuming that would
let the MOBO sound work once again.  So what now?

--doug