[pulseaudio-discuss] 2 sound devices, one mostly won't play, but works

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Mar 29 00:52:50 PDT 2011

On 03/29/2011 02:39 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 04:53 PM, Doug wrote:
>> On 03/29/2011 01:26 AM, Doug wrote:
>>
>> Here I am again: Now the top sliders control the volume on the bottom
>> port.  I don't know shat I did.  I still can't get any sound out of the
>> speaker connected to the top port, but I can get the bonging noise on
>> the headphones of the second port.  Actually, with all this
>> confusion, I really don't know which port is connected to what, since
>> now the top port seems to be connected to the headphones,
>>
>> Do you know if anyone using PCLOS has ever gotten this thing to work?
>>
>> --doug
>>

> You might want to try with alsamixer
>
> It may be that your settings have become confused.
>
> You can drop an .asoundrc file into your home folder for testing.
>
> You may also get somewhere with   "/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf"
>

> Cheers.

All right.  I managed to get two sound sources running at the same time
(thru one card) and couldn't stop the one, so I shut the machine
down (gracefully) and when I rebooted and loaded a radio station, it
came out the MOBO device into the speakers.  I looked up
/usr/bin/alsamixer.gui and it seems to only know the MOBO device, and
only the master has any effect on the volume.  The panel
volume control works again.  I conclude that PA is not working at all
right now.  There is no file pulse-default.conf anywhere on the
machine.  All the alsa files in /usr/bin as one might expect, altho
alsamixer.gui puts a drawing out with a zillion i/o keys. There is
no .asound* on the machine.

Unfortunately, I'm a retired hardware engineer, and I'm not all that
good with software.  I sort of know how to find things on the machine,
and I know some _very basic_ bash programming, and I can edit files if I
know what to put in them.  I was always told by the software
guys not to do it in hardware if it could be done in software, but if
Radio Shack still had the parts, I would be building a switch about now.
There's DigiKey, of course. . . .

It's almost 4AM here.  I give up for the night.

--doug