[pulseaudio-discuss] 2 sound devices, one mostly won't play, but works

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 29 03:30:36 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Doug at 29/03/11 02:52 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello, group--I'm a newbie here.  Running PCLOS with KDE 4.6.1.  I
> recently decided that I wanted to be able to try out SKYPE, and I
> don't want to move cables around, so, since I had an old sound card, I
> plugged it in. Up til then, sound was on MOBO and worked
> fine.  Now sound only comes out p/i card, except once for a minute,
> until I messed with the GUI PAVU, and now it's back to the
> p/i card again, only.  I have tried sound output from an internet radio
> station and from an mp3 file on a CD.  It was the CD that briefly
> produced output from the MOBO sound device.  Here is what the system
> says about the cards:

You really shouldn't really have to mess with .asoundrc's these days.
The PerfectSetup page on the wiki shouldn't really apply at a user level
in this day and age, it should be up to the distro to provide all this
for you. Certainly all the major distros have been doing this for
several years now.

In KDE things are different, but see here for the info:

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/KDE

You can also find all the relevant KDE info on my blog.

http://colin.guthr.ie/tag/kde/

Again, all the major distros have been supporting proper PA+KDE
integration for a while now (I think SuSE was the last to include it,
but it's now default in their latest release I believe).

So the routing of which card to use on KDE works via the KDE System
Settings GUI which is fully integrated with PA.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]