[pulseaudio-discuss] ORC buildsystem problems

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Tue May 3 01:40:00 PDT 2011

2011/5/3 Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net>:
> Am Dienstag, den 03.05.2011, 08:39 +0530 schrieb Arun Raghavan:
>> On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 11:52 +0200, Maarten Bosmans wrote:
>> > Recently, I encountered some problems when enabling orc in some less
>> > usual situations.
>> >
>> > When compiling with --enable-orc from a tarball generated from a
>> > --disable-orc configured tree, the following error occurs.
>> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `pulsecore/svolume-orc-gen.c',
>> > needed by `all'.  Stop
>> > I haven't really looked at a solution. Perhaps the nodist_ prefix for
>> > some files inside if HAVE_ORC in src/Makefile.am should be dropped?
>> > May be Colin needs to do his make distchecks with this situation, in
>> > order to catch it earlier.
>>
>> There should not be a dist'ed tarball without those generated files.
>> Whether they are used or not is a configure-time option, then.

Right. Any idea on how to fix that then?

>> > Secondly, there is a problem when cross-compiling. The pkg-config
>> > check for ORC is used to find the usual include files and linking
>> > flags, but also to find the location of orcc. This is a problem,
>> > because when configure is run with the correct configuration, such
>> > that pkg-config finds the host package, it also finds the host orcc
>> > (in the case of my mingw32 test, it finds orcc.exe), which is of
>> > course useless in the build environment.
>>
>> Why is it useless in your environment? The files generated by orcc are
>> architecture-neutral.

The binary that make ends up trying to use (orcc.exe) is useless,
because it's a win32 binary on a Linux platform. So the
architecture-neutral files can't even be generated.

> For your second issue please take a look at the thread on the
> gstreamer-devel list [1].

Ah, yes. It seems that my workaround of setting ORCC= is the advised
solution. Still it would be better to autodetect a broken return value
of pkg-config. I could make a patch to orc.m4 that does just that, but
I can't seem to find the file in the orc git repo. Is orc.m4 managed
locally in the pulse tree, or is there some upstream that improvements
should also be submitted to?

> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>
> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/gstreamer-devel/2011-March/030983.html