[pulseaudio-discuss] Is there any way to remap source channels?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri May 13 08:55:14 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 14:14 +0200, marcin at saepia.net wrote:
> Why should I prevent remixing? Can't I just use module-loopback with
> channel_map set?

I think this is what happens (I haven't tested): if you have non-aux
channels on the sound card, let's say front-left, front-right, rear-left
and rear-right, and you try to loop back just rear-left and rear-right,
the resampler (which really takes care of more conversion than just
sample rate) will try to be smart and mix some of front-left and
front-right into the rear-left and rear-right channels. The same logic
is involved always when a stream - be it capture or playback - is
connected to a device that doesn't have the same parameters as the
stream. Configuring the device to use aux channels should disable the
"intelligent" remixing - only the channels specified by the stream will
be taken from the source.