[pulseaudio-discuss] Reverting ade0a6f88464d8aecf83982d400ccfc402341920

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri May 13 09:20:37 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 17:29 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> In short; if we e g have Mic Boost levels at (0dB, 20dB, 40dB and 60dB)
> and the user wants 30 dB, better have 20dB in hardware and +10dB in
> software than 40dB in hardware and -10dB in software, as the latter one
> is more likely to have digital distortion when the signal passes through
> the ADC.
>
> There is a longer email on this list a while back, explaining more of
> the philosophy behind, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Ok, I think I understand why rounding down makes sense when recording.
With playback, however, rounding towards 0 dB is definetely broken. My
ability to think clearly happens to be currently a bit weakened, so I
have to ask you: what's so magic about 0 dB? With playback rounding
should always be done up - would it make sense to round always down with
capture?