[pulseaudio-discuss] Debugging Pulse Audio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed May 18 05:53:48 PDT 2011

Hiya

'Twas brillig, and Himanshu Chug at 18/05/11 13:40 did gyre and gimble:
> I am trying to debug pulse audio v0.9.21 code (on Ubuntu desktop) by
> running some test playback .pcm stream.
> I guess to check the code logs I need to start the pulse audio daemon in
> debug mode.
>
> 1. How can I Stop the existing PA daemon? when I try to KILL the daemon
> it automatically started again  (may be due to some configuration.?)

Typically you can:
 echo "autospawn=no" >> ~/.pulse/client.conf

to prevent autospawning. (man pulse-client.conf)

PA will likely still start at login to X11 due to XDG scripts triggered
at login, but it will not autospawn and thus some apps that start during
the early login may actually flip over to a non-PA mode due to this
change, so I'd recommend reverting the change when you are done or
accepting the consequences (I turn off autospawn generally and accept
that some login items might misbehave a bit)

> 2. How to again Start the daemon in Debug mode?

Generally I run it manually:
 pulseaudio -vvvvv

> 3. How and where to check for PA code logs ?

You can configure the log target and level in daemon.conf (man
pulse-daemon.conf) or just use the console output from the above command.

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]