[pulseaudio-discuss] How to redirect pulse audio through ssh?

Quinn Plattel qiet72 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 12:57:10 PDT 2011

Well, here is my almost perfect solution:

local sound server: ssh -L 5901:localhost:5901 -L 1234:localhost:1234
<remote sound client>
remote sound client: mkfifo output.wav
remote sound client: parec | sox -t raw -r 44100 -s -L -b 16 -c 2 -
"output.wav" & cat output.wav | nc -l 1234
local sound server: mkfifo output.wav
local sound server: paplay --volume=48000 -v fifo.wav & nc localhost 1234
>fifo.wav

As you can see, I use port 5901 for VNC and port 1234 to forward sound.  The
only thing is it takes at least 30 seconds before it plays on the speakers.

Any ideas why such a huge latency?

br,
Quinn

>>> [media@(Media)centre ~]$ export PULSE_SERVER=localhost:5555