[pulseaudio-discuss] using pulseaudio with simultaneous playback from mutiple X sessions

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Wed Nov 9 02:30:06 PST 2011

On 09.11.2011 10:50, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Montag, 7. November 2011 schrieb Maarten Bosmans:
>>> When I start to playback sound from
>>> the session of the first user and then switch to the second user
>>> pulseaudio stops to play back sound from the first user.
>> Correct. This is by design.
> I have removed Pulseaudio from my main machine now again.
> I can have Amarok playback music, while I work on my company´s
> user session and that was all I wanted and what Pulseaudio won´t give me
> easily.

Tip, for you and others:
If you want to separate stuff for security reasons, you can use a VM
with kvm -soundhw es1370. kvm supports pulse and will redirect all the
sound of the VM to your pulse server. Just set, under the kvm-starting
user, ~/.pulse/client.conf with default-server = ..., and enable the
pulse networking on the server, and you'll hear the Windows-Login-Sound
from your pulse. The VM guest doesn't need to know about pulse. I find
that awesome.

For the pulse people:
Please don't tell people that the problems they run into are by design.
You'll have people running away, or even have quite negative feelings
about pulse. Rather, fix the limitations, please.

Ben