[pulseaudio-discuss] Jack detection - Client API for UIs

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Nov 10 15:17:13 PST 2011

Hi PulseAudio developers,

Upstreaming of the jack detection patches seems to take much longer than
I anticipated. :-( This puts me in a difficult position, as I want to
get started with the UI work of the Gnome sound settings as soon as
possible.

This is because I want the UI work to go into Ubuntu 12.04, early on, to
get as much testing as possible before release.

Therefore, Conor and I have planned to do this work in the november time
frame. To get started with that, we need extensions to the client API -
and that within the next couple of days. Shortly thereafter, protocol
extensions matching this client API will need to be agreed on.

At this point, the status of the client API extension (and apologies if
my perception of your opinions are wrong) is:

  * I posted a proposal in October [1] but no responses to that message
so far

  * Arun wants to see inactive sinks being implemented but probably not
exposed through the client API

  * Colin probably wants to see inactive sinks being exposed through the
client API, but is generally open to other suggestions as well

  * Tanu wants to see ports being implemented as "first class objects"
so that notifications can be made on port level. In the long term, Tanu
wants to merge the "port" and "sink"/"source" concepts into one, but at
this point this is just a vague idea.

  * And I...well, I think the proposal in [1] is the quickest way from A
to B, and I'm tempted to take that because I'm in a hurry, but I do
realise that there are long-term considerations as well, very much
depending on which one(s) of the above opinions that will prevail.

Do you think we can merge these different views and come up with an
agreed client API within a couple of days? The "let's discuss and
discuss again and then we stall a bit and then more discussions and then
see if we ever come to a consensus and if we don't just do nothing"
approach [2] will just not work out for me here. And I really really not
want to make Ubuntu go its own way here with incompatible client API and
protocol extensions either, so please give me a better option :-)

PS: Will send out new jack detection patches shortly. Only thing changed
is adjustment according to the comments where I believe there was no
dispute.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-October/011910.html

[2] Ok, this is an exaggeration, but you get the point.