[pulseaudio-discuss] using pulseaudio with simultaneous playback from mutiple X sessions

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 12 12:24:56 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Martin Steigerwald at 10/11/11 13:22 did gyre and gimble:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2011 schrieb Ben Bucksch:
>> Colin, first, thanks for your long, detailled answers!
>>
>> Just a short reply:
>>
>> On 09.11.2011 11:56, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> Now consider two users on an accessible system: One is visually
>>> impaired the other is not
>>
>> - at the same time. OK, but that's really an unrealistic case now. The
>> blind guy needs the sound output, so likely he doesn't have somebody
>> else working on the same machine at the same time.
>
> I also thought about this. How often is a per session setup really used?
> How are computers shared? I am not sure about numbers. Does anyone use the
> features of the one Pulseaudio daemon per session setup like muting audio
> output from one session when switching to another one?

Yes, this is the standard setup and also how such things work on other
operating systems like OSX and Windows when doing fast user swtiching
which is what we're talking about here.

> I could imagine a family computer for this usecase where several people
> are logged in simulatenously. Then when the father does not switch off the
> audio, the daughter could just switch the session and do her voice chats.

Precisely. It puts each user in control without relying on the father to
come in from the garage just so he can unlock his session and hit pause
in his media player before the daughter can go and call her friends.

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/