[pulseaudio-discuss] system wide daemon (war: Re: using pulseaudio with simultaneous playback from mutiple X sessions)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 12 12:31:27 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Martin Steigerwald at 10/11/11 13:59 did gyre and gimble:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2011 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
>> merkaba:/etc> grep autospawn pulse/client.conf
>> autospawn = no
>>
>> Surprisingly when I do this, a user wide daemon is always autospawned.
>> This does not match the option name. I will try this once again after
>> sending out this mail, but I tried two times already.
>
> This is clearly reproducable.
>
> After a fresh login - no matter whether I use autospawn = no in
> /etc/pulse/client.conf or /home/martin/.pulse/client.conf or not at all -
> I get:
>
> martin at merkaba:~> ps aux | grep pulse
> pulse    21041  0.1  0.0 217932  5568 ?        S<l  14:52   0:00
> /usr/bin/pulseaudio --system --daemonize --high-priority --log-
> target=syslog --disallow-module-loading=0
> martin   21500  3.6  0.0 302184  6708 ?        S<l  14:54   0:00
> /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start
> martin   21503  0.0  0.0 194600  4264 ?        Sl   14:54   0:00
> /usr/lib/pulseaudio/pulse/gconf-helper
> martin   21526  0.0  0.0   9776   920 pts/3    S+   14:54   0:00 grep
> pulse

Yeah this is kinda a problem with the XDG startup scripts. PA is not
being spawned per-se, but rather started at startup via the scripts
"start-pulseaudio-*" (there are two)

I've tried to bring this subject up a while ago to get it fixed
properly, but it's never been quite satisfactorily solved in my opinion.

IMO a per-user PA should refuse to start if a system-wide instance is
detected, but it does not check this at present.

The quick and dirty fix is simply to edit the
/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-* scripts and put and "exit 0" near the top.

If you want proper device lists in the Phonon configuration, you should
also edit your /etc/pulse/system.pa file and put a load-module command
for module-device-manager with the do_routing argument. This is what the
start-pulseaudio-kde script does, but as you will be preventing this
from running with your system-wide daemon, then you will have to set it
up manually.

HTHs

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/