[pulseaudio-discuss] using pulseaudio with simultaneous playback from mutiple X sessions

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Sun Nov 13 09:45:20 PST 2011

BTW: It's not just mpd. Other case: You have only one loudspeaker pair,
but 5 computers (HTPC, desktop, notebook, netbook, tablet, whatever).
All should output on the same set of speakers.

In fact, that's the network protocol case. Whenever you need the network
protocol, you have some other host accessing the speakers of the pulse
server. And then the other system needs to rely on the speakers being
there. Here, pulse is most definitely a server in the classical sense
and must *not* depend on whoever is logged in at the moment. Basically,
whenever you want the network protocol, you also want the system-wide
daemon.

And the network transparency for me is the by far coolest feature of
pulse (esp. because it's done so well and working so flawlessly), that's
precisely one of the main reasons why I like pulse. Don't tell me it's
not important or not supported, please!

Ben